Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year


Hope everyone had a fun and safe new year's celebration. We had a good time hanging out with some friends and playing some wii games. My parents and little sisters are in Chile for the holidays spending time with family there I'm sure they are enjoying their time there. Luckily Elizabeth's family was able to spend some time here with us for Christmas so we weren't alone. We had a great time hanging out for a few days before they made their way down to Florida.

I was listening to a podcast from Spain talking about traditions - new year's traditions specifically and it reminded me of the way we used to celebrate these holidays with my family in Chile. Much like my parents must be doing these days. The podcast explained how a normal new year's eve dinner consists of lentels, an Italian tradition that's supposed to bring prosperity in the new year. A Spanish tradition is to eat 12 grapes at midnight one for each month of the new year, if the grapes are sweet you'll have a good month, sour grapes represent bad months. Both those european traditions are part of the new year's traditions in Chile. I was trying to think of any traditions we did here in the states but couldn't come up with anything. As a family we don't follow those traditions anymore but when I heard about them on the podcast it did remind me of being together with lots of family during this time of year.

No comments:

Apture