
I read an article in the Wall Street Journal that said that Nintendo has been getting some complaints about the Wii. The Wii, Nintendo's new console that came out last week has these innovative controllers that put you in the action of the game you are playing, for example in the tennis game you have to swing the controller as you would a racket. The problem is that Americans aren't used to being active while they are playing their video games and as a result are getting sore muscles and tired bodies. Not since the DDR craze have people worked up a sweat while playing their video games. People are virtual bowling, golfing and fishing for 3 hours in one sitting and they are using muscles they didn't know they had. Nintendo says they're simply out of shape. I think this is a great step for the video game industry. Nintendo sales seem to agree.
I've actually considered getting one. I never got into video games like a lot of guys my age did, sure I enjoyed a good game of Bond, Mario Kart or Fifa in the dorm just like the next guy, but I was never one to sit and play for hours on end. Which is why its hard for me to justify spending the $300 on the Wii, although it seems like a good price considering the pricier playstation 3 and the not as active xbox 360. I think if they came out with a lacrosse game on the Wii I would be ready to make the deal.
In the meantime I hope the Wii does well and inspires a new generation to pick up these virtual activities in the real world. Maybe they can find out just how sore their bodies can get out on the real courts.

No comments:
Post a Comment