Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So I made these sunjars


IMG_0979
Originally uploaded by sr109
I originally saw these on some artsy blog like apartment therapy or cool hunting and thought they were cool. Soon there were instructions on how to make those yourself. I thought this would be a cool project and would be nice to have out on the table on the patio. They turned out pretty well. They collect the solar energy during the day and they have a photo sensor that turns the light on when it gets dark out. I'm still experimenting with different materials to better diffuse the light, but I'm pleased with the results. I've only made two so far but once I figure out what the best materials are I'll make the rest (i have enough materials to make 4 of these). I'll probably give some away as well.

2 comments:

dudeyonica said...

Nice work, looks cool, what material are you using now to diffuse the light? Have you looked into using a vellum of any kind?

Rite Me Up said...

The one on the left has tissue paper, the one on the right has the plastic from the landscaping lights. The one with the tissue paper also has a smaller plastic "lampshade" around the bulb that I cut from the leftover landscape housing.

Apture